Our goal in First grade is to foster a love of learning in our students and to prepare them with the necessary skills to read and write.
In First grade our students will be learning the following skills:
- Locate the main idea and details in a story.
- Read at least 100 sight words.
- Recall the sequence of events in oral and written stories.
- Print words legibly.
- Write words legibly in manuscript form.
- Capitalize the first word in a sentence and use the period and question mark at the end of a sentence.
- Recognize the singular and plural forms of nouns.
- Count to 100 by one's, two's, five's, and ten's.
- Write the numerals to 100.
- Add and subtract numbers up to and from 10.
- Use simple maps and globes.
- Make more detailed observations of the natural world.
Get your child ready for First Grade by reviewing these High Frequency Words and Word Families.
Summer Reading Books for Students going to
First Grade: I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by: Karen Beaumont